Open House

This weekend is the open house for DD2, and baking has begun.  I had forgotten how much work it takes to make rolls for an open house.  It takes forever.  This is the first open house for our church this year, and I don’t really know how many people to expect.  People aren’t in graduation mode yet, and the annual list of open houses hasn’t been put into the bulletin.  Then again, open houses are a huge social affair in our church and this is the first one, so people may come in droves and stay for a long time.  We just won’t know until Saturday.

My oldest child’s open house was on the same day as at least seven other open houses with ties to our church, so people didn’t stay long and didn’t eat much.  We were farming out the leftovers heavily.  I’ve scaled back this year, but it’s still a lot of work.  I’m already tired and looking forward to 8pm Saturday night when I’ll be collapsed into the recliner from which I’m currently writing.

Our house is still a work zone.  I had to rein DH in a bit, making it clear that my focus is on open house prep this week.  Over the weekend we tore out the dining room carpet and padding, then four of us got all of the staples out of the plywood.  The plywood was then liberally sprinkled with baking soda, which was brushed in and left over night.  We vacuumed that up the next day and DH painted the plywood.  This is all to rid the room of the smell of cat urine so our next cats don’t take up the habit.  The drywall that was behind the baseboards needs some paint as well, and flooring has been ordered for this room.  DH wants to tear up the adjacent room flooring as well, but that is where I put the brakes on.  We have company coming this weekend and have a canvas drop cloth under our table.

Last week I was up to my eyeballs in doctor visits.  Blood tests, an MRI, and a short time of worry.  Thankfully the worst fears were for nothing, but the symptoms which led to all of this are still unexplained and still present.  Yay.  Back to square one.  I really don’t need this with everything else going on.

Part of the issue is fatigue, and there is the open house, remodeling, the whole house needs cleaning (okay, that’s perpetual), and on and on.

This morning is the honors program for my son’s grade, and the first year in which he did not make the cut.  It makes me sad because he’s fully capable, but a lot of his lowered grades was due to not getting assignments turned in.  Hopefully next year I’ll be getting a sore behind on the bleachers again, waiting for that 10 second walk across the gym to get his certificate.

Time to roll out the crescent rolls and get them rising.

About homereferee

I'm a stay at home mom who sometimes feels more like a tape recorder yelling, "Get apart!".
This entry was posted in children, family, graduation, kids, school, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s